- Tactical Briefs
- Collaborative Manufacturing
- Control Panel Optimization
- Embedded systems & Trends
- Embedded Vision in Manufacturing
- Energy Efficiency
- Ethernet I/O Networking
- Factory Floor Network Deployment
- Factory Floor Network Reliability
- Fieldbus I/O
- Hands-on Guide to OEE
- HMI, From the Web to the Cloud
- Industrial PCs and the IoT
- Internet of Things
- Machine Safety
- Machine Safety Standards & Strategies
- Make a lasting connection
- Mechatronics @ Work: Insight & Technology Solutions
- Opening Up Your Gateway to Asia
- Real-time Operational Intelligence (RtOI)
- Robotics in U.S. Manufacturing
- Robots & Machines in Motion
- The Future of Industrial PCs
- The power of PackML
| January 17, 2013
Embedded Controllers Get Industry Specific
New automation controller combines an Intel Atom dual core processor and two data acquisition cards to handle complex embedded processing jobs.
Designed for manufacturers of devices for the solar panel and traffic management industries, a new automation controller combines an embedded computer and plug-in data acquisition (DAQ) cards in a small, low-profile unit. The fanless ECU-1710A automation controller from Advantech integrates Advantech’s PCI-1710UL and PCI1720U DAQ cards onto a motherboard with a 16-channel analog inputs, 4-channel analog outputs along with 16-channel isolated digital inputs and 16-channel isolated digital outputs.
Advantech says it powers the ECU-1710A controller with the Intel Atom D510 dual core processor, featuring 1GB DDR2 RAM, so that it can handle the complex processes required for calculating traffic flow as well as the fine measurements needed for solar cell manufacturing. The controller has six communication interfaces: two 10/100MB Ethernet, two RS-232 serial, and two USB 2.0 ports.
Another key aspect of the controller is its programmable software. According to Advantech, customers can develop their own applications and monitoring solutions through the use of DAQNavi, a free software package that can be downloaded from Advantech’s Website. DAQNavi includes all utilities, driver, software development kit, and documents necessary for hardware configuration, testing, and programming.
The best of the essentials!
Secrets to Automation Project Success
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this FREE Automation Project Survival Guide. It’s packed with field-tested best practices from industry experts that can help make your next automation project a success.