- Tactical Briefs
- Collaborative Manufacturing
- Control Panel Optimization
- Embedded systems & Trends
- Embedded Vision in Manufacturing
- Energy Efficiency
- Ethernet I/O Networking
- Factory Floor Network Deployment
- Factory Floor Network Reliability
- Fieldbus I/O
- Hands-on Guide to OEE
- HMI, From the Web to the Cloud
- Industrial PCs and the IoT
- Internet of Things
- Machine Safety
- Machine Safety Standards & Strategies
- Make a lasting connection
- Mechatronics @ Work: Insight & Technology Solutions
- Opening Up Your Gateway to Asia
- Real-time Operational Intelligence (RtOI)
- Robotics in U.S. Manufacturing
- Robots & Machines in Motion
- The Future of Industrial PCs
- The power of PackML
| June 7, 2013
What is OEE?
OEE is a measure of three components: availability, performance and quality.
Availability, commonly known as uptime, is the percentage of scheduled time that the unit is available to operate. Performance is the speed at which the unit operates, expressed as a percentage of the speed at which it was designed to operate. Quality is the percentage of “good units” produced compared with the “total units started” or “first pass yield” in non-OEE parlance.
Multiplying these three percentages gives you an overall performance score. It’s a simple concept that can be applied to any machine, cell or line in the plant—or even to the entire plant itself—shining a light on areas that need improvement.
The goal of OEE implementation, says Tom Jensen, program manager, OEM business development for Lenze Americas, “is to drive productivity while maintaining a stable state of operation.” In other words: Wring more productivity and value out of existing assets.
>> Read Automation World's OEE feature story: OEE in Packaging: Deceptively Simple
The best of the essentials!
Secrets to Automation Project Success
Sign up to receive timely updates from our editors and download this FREE Automation Project Survival Guide. It’s packed with field-tested best practices from industry experts that can help make your next automation project a success.