- Managers view the number of parts being produced in one location from a Website in another location.
- Plant engineers respond almost instantly to process concerns and downtime events no matter where they are.
- Maintenance personnel walk the plant and check performance parameters while looking directly at the equipment.
- Global positioning satellite (GPs ) signals customize an interface based on a person’s location in a building GPs pinpoints equipment locations on sites where equipment is widely dispersed.
- Instead of finding a technician with a laptop and the required software, manufacturers configure robotic tool changers using only Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Maintenance firms monitor equipment and notify someone when it needs maintenance, so operators can focus on production rather than upkeep issues.
See also the main November 2011 feature, Ethernet-Enabled Consumer Technologies Cross Over
To read the feature article, click here.