Advantech, a leader in Internet of Things (IoT) intelligent systems and embedded platforms, and Mocana, a provider of cyber protection solutions for operation technology (OT), have announced a new partnership to bring Mocana’s end-to-end protection capabilities to Industrial IoT (IIoT) devices utilizing Advantech IoT gateway devices.
The Mocana TrustPoint solution includes on-board protection for the IIoT and will be preloaded and integrated on select Advantech IoT gateways. This provides manufacturers, OEMs, and operators a comprehensive software system for IoT device protection, and ensures IoT devices function as intended by design and provide trusted data for lifecycle management and analytics.
“Current approaches to securing IIoT devices focus on a ‘monitor, detect, and respond’ mindset,” said David Smith, president of Mocana. “Historic outcomes have proven that such tactical and standalone methods are not adequate to holistically combat risks in the emerging high-speed, digitally-connected era. The Mocana system enables enterprises to accelerate implementation of industrial digital transformation technologies, while protecting devices and data from unauthorized control, manipulation and weaponization.”
Key benefits of the integration of Mocana TrustPoint with Advantech’s IoT gateways include:
- Automate the deployment, enrollment, configuration, updates, and monitoring of a near-unlimited number of IIoT endpoints with security orchestration.
- Ensure IIoT endpoints function as designed and provide trusted data.
- Safeguard the integrity of an IIoT product from the time it leaves a manufacturing facility to when it reaches an end customer (maintaining tamper-resistant supply chain integrity).
- Minimize GDPR risk by stopping IIoT endpoints from use as a backdoor for malicious exploits targeting information technology (IT) networks.
- Facilitate adherence to compliance- and risk-based standards, such as ISO/SAE 21434, NERC-CIP and ISA/IEC 62443.
Mocana TrustPoint on Advantech IoT devices also works seamlessly with Mocana TrustCenter Services. The Mocana TrustCenter operations platform provides a tamper-resistant and scalable workflow for transfer of ownership and lifecycle management of devices, fully integrated with authentication and certification services. It automates provisioning, orchestration and management of devices for scalable enrollment and trusted software updates to wired, wireless, and air-gapped devices.
Advantech’s IoT gateways, such as UNO and WISE gateways, are designed for end-device data analysis and transmission, increasing operational efficiency. The edge gateway helps to connect operations technology (OT) and IT seamlessly and plays an important role in multiple IoT constriction, such as protocol converter, data collector, or data logger. With a modular design, Advantech edge gateways feature various I/O and versatile mounting options for a wide range of industrial applications.
Mocana TrustPoint on Advantech IoT devices is an ideal solution for manufacturers, OEMs, and owners and operators in various industries including: process manufacturing, aerospace, defense, utilities, energy, transportation, healthcare, automotive, smart city infrastructure, and more. It can help alleviate the following pain points in these industries:
- Eliminate supply chain risks by making content tamper resistant from the developer to the target device.
- Maintain data and device trustworthiness throughout the device lifecycle.
- Ensure device operational safety and reliability.
- Manage IoT security at scale.
- Speed compliance with industry-required cyber-risk standards.
- Prevent intellectual property theft.
“The IIoT has become a mainstream focus for the continuing wave of the digital transformation,” said Allan Yang, chief technology officer at Advantech. “Working with Mocana to deliver standardized, COTS solutions to address key issues with scaling—and securing these advanced data-driven, OT environments—will accelerate the deployment of IIoT solutions with lower IT resource requirements, as well as significantly reduce ongoing support throughout the life of their digitally-transformed offerings.”