- Build a sustainability strategy around source reduction for your customers, including packaging materials, ancillary products, and energy and water.
- Seek ways to minimize and document your products’ energy consumption in anticipation of likely future customer requirements.
- Use a recognized methodology to document your machinery’s sustainability attributes, such as Total Cost of Ownership, Life Cycle Assessment, or Overall Equipment Effectiveness.
- Benchmark your products and services relative to the Sustainable Packaging Coalition’s definition of sustainability, an informal but widely recognized packaging industry benchmark.
- Form strategic relationships, as appropriate, with converters or other suppliers of packaging, ancillary products, machinery or automation.
Source: “Report on Packaging Machinery Sustainability,” by Padraic Sweeney in the Office of Transportation and Machinery of the U.S. Department of Commerce.