The February edition of Futurist Update, the e-mail newsletter from the World Future Society ( http://www.wfs.org/futupfeb04.htm), lists the top 10 skills for the future as determined by Syracuse University public-affairs professor Bill Coplin.
* Work ethic, including self-motivation and time management.
* Physical skills, e.g., maintaining one's health and good appearance.
* Verbal (oral) communication, including one-on-one and in a group.
* Written communication, including editing and proofing one's work.
* Working directly with people, relationship building and teamwork.
* Influencing people, including effective salesmanship and leadership.
* Gathering information through various media and keeping it organized.
* Using quantitative tools, e.g., statistics, graphs or spreadsheets.
* Asking and answering the right questions, evaluating information and applying knowledge.
* Solving problems, including identifying problems, developing possible solutions and launching solutions.
The book can be ordered at:
These work for almost all environments. Do you have any that are manufacturing specific ones that you’d like to share. E-mail Gary Mintchell at firstname.lastname@example.org