Belden Inc., a global leader in signal transmission solutions for mission-critical applications, has added new Lumberg Input/Output Network-Ruggedized (LioN-R) modules to its Lumberg Automation product line. These robust modules allow actuators and sensors to reliably connect to controllers via PROFIBUS-DP, thereby enabling an increase in the productivity of machines and systems.
The LioN-R modules combine mechanical stability with functional reliability:
- Fully enclosed metal housings withstand welding sparks, filings, aggressive coolants and lubricants, while fulfilling modern requirements for on-machine mounting.
- The galvanic isolation of the sensors and actuators from the higher-level bus system, as well as through short-circuit proof outputs, protects from interference.
- A simple diagnostic concept allows faults to be located quickly, due to precise channel and bus diagnosis, and guarantee maximum machine uptime.
- Standardized M12 connection technology reduces the time and effort required for installation, maintenance and storage, while ensuring quick and simple expansion.
The LioN-R modules are designed primarily for use in mechanical engineering. Typical applications include metal processing, material handling, welding lines and automated systems, such as those in food and beverage applications. Because the modules ensure high productivity, they offer system manufacturers a competitive edge.
“Thanks to the new ruggedized modules in the LioN-R family, PROFIBUS installations can now benefit from this extremely robust input/output technology, which has already set standards with Profinet and Ethernet/IP for reliable and secure data communication in harsh environments,” says Product Manager Toni Hauert.
The LioN-R I/O modules for PROFIBUS are available in three versions: 16 digital input (DI) channels, 16 digital output (DO) channels, or a combination of eight DI and eight DO channels. The modules also feature:
- Vibration-proof M12 connection technology with metal threads and embedded ports for space-saving installations.
- Optimized slot arrangement for easy use, even with T-distributors.
- Conveniently-set module address using a rotary switch.
- Power supply with a 7/8" connector has a nominal voltage of 24 V DC.
All variants of the LioN-R modules satisfy the requirements of industrial protection class IP67, are designed for an operating temperature range of -10°C to +60°C, and are certified by the PROFIBUS User Organization (PNO), as well as the UL standard.
In a world moving toward interoperability, visibility is vital to operators as they face increasing demands to receive, analyze and share data. Belden’s industrial connectivity solutions address these needs head on. With more connected machines, increasing data volumes and productivity demands at an all-time high, customers in challenging environments can count on Belden cable, Lumberg Automation and Hirschmann industrial connectors for a complete communications infrastructure designed to last. Belden’s customized systems provide robust performance and reliability for a wide range of industrial automation applications.
>> For more information on this product, click here