When a power supply fails, the sensors, actuators and the controller all come to a halt to figure out which part of the system has failed. It is up to the controller to figure out which part caused the halt in production. The power supply is often replaced long before it is necessary to prevent the risk of automation component failure, which ultimately leads to loss of productivity.
Balluff offers a full line of power supplies, which now includes IO-Link versions with the HEARTBEAT function. The HEARTBEAT function consists of stress level indicator, load level indicator and life expectancy indicator, which lets the user visually know how the power supply is doing and when a power supply would need to be replaced. Ultimately this will allow the full life of the power supply, years longer than the standard replacement time.
These three indicators help operators to use the power supply within an optimal range. The IO-Link function enables getting information parameters to the control system in the least costly manner. The control system can then alert operators for counter actions to prolong the use of the power supply to the maximum possible life. In this manner, IO-Link assures continuous condition monitoring of the system.
Balluff IO-Link Power Supplies advantages:
- HEARTBEAT function consists of stress level indicator, load level indicator and life expectancy indicator
- High energy efficiency (>93% efficiency)
- Electrically durable (power boost 150% for 4 seconds)
- Long lasting (minimum service life of 15 years at 100% load and 40ºC)
- Vibration and shock resistant
- IO-Link Clip integrated
- Galvanic isolation between power and IO-Link
>> For more information please click here.